My dear Julia,
It is finished!! The Union has won! I have just spoken with General Lee on the terms of surrender! We have agreed there will be no more fighting! After we captured Richmond, the war was in our favor! Then we won it all in Saylor’s Creek, which I believe to be the last battle of the war. When I received word that Lee wanted to discuss the surrender, I was surprised but overjoyed. When I arrived at the house of Wilmer McLean, the meeting place, I was wearing what I had worn the hours before. But Lee looked his finest, assuming I would make him my prisoner. But we are men of the same country again, so I did no such thing. I even stopped my men from clapping when Lee left McLean’s residence. I am thrilled that I will get to see you again, and extremely excited that the cause I fought so hard for has won . I love you and can’t wait to see everyone in the family soon! 
         Sincerely,
               Ulysses Grant 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August 29, 1863