My dear Julia,
We have just come home from the Battle of Bull Run. It was a tragic battle. I mentioned it in my last letter, but I wanted you to here the details from me first before rebel rumors spread to our home. We had about 37,000 men, while the Gray Backs had just 22,000. One of the Federal generals who fought in this battle sent me a letter saying this, "The battle seemed to be easily in our favor, so the men around me began to eat some of the food of the picnics that had surrounded us. Just as I was about to take a bite of cake, I saw many of the other Yankee soldiers running towards me, with General Thomas Jackson and his regiment chasing them. I was so frightened in the middle of my cake that I stopped thinking and just ran along with them. By the time I straightened out my mind, our troops were already very injured and defeated; we were forced to retreat. We had about 2, 896 casualties." I am embarrassed for our troops, and I am going to be different in my next battle. The stories of the delicious food made me very jealous though. Our food is very scarce. One of the worst things I've eaten is the Union Hardtack, or Worm Castles. They are stiff as a rock, and they get infested with worms very easily. But, luckily, they're easy to make and don't spoil. I'll share a recipe if you want to be able to make it for the kids to try. I miss you so much, and I hope you will tell the kids about this battle and give them my love. 
         Stay safe,
               Ulysses Grant

2 cups flour
1/2 tablespoon salt (optional)
1/2 to 3/4 cup water



Mix into a stiff batter, then roll out on a floured surface. 
Cut them into squares and then bake them. Try to enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August 29, 1863